I’ve just returned from my B.Sc. presentation on applied text-mining techniques for stock market predictions. Each semester when the thesis presentations are held, lower semesters present their one-term projects. Each student at my faculty has to do two of those during his/her studies.
There were some pretty neat projects. Alas I haven’t had a chance to talk to all of them you can check out the full list (in German) over at the faculty website.
Distributed, fail-safe block devices
The guys researching distributed, fail-safe block devices did a great evaluation of current technologies and compiled a nice demonstration with three datastore nodes running virtual machine instances.
Some of the code for the “TeachRobot” robotic arm interface project is available over at 32leaves.net. I guess they’ll submit their work to Hack a Day soon. Meanwhile check out Christians Logic Analyzer project if you’re in lack of an oscilloscope.
The goal of this semesters project, was to build a new interface for existing legacy hardware (actually 30 years old legacy). To demonstrate what we did, we came up with that little demo: making soap bubbles with a robot.
I really like the idea of multimedial learning in a way that’s up to date with current technologies. The guys who developed a neat lecture podcasting system presented quiet performant streaming and a neat, SilverLight based, web interface. Big plus was the video of my UnFUG lightning talk I gave yesterday to get in shape for my thesis presentation. 😉
Those were only three picks, even the first-semester project developing a touch-based information system for the faculty showed a decent progress this semester. Great work.